Jim Grant's Tuba Commissioning Project

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Nelson on February 08, 2001 at 10:33:46:

From a previous post by Dennis AsKew called "Last Chance for a Great Deal" I thought I would add my two cents to the front of the BBS board!

In Reply to: LAst Chance for a great deal posted by Dennis A. on February 05, 2001 at 09:53:15:

Wow Dennis - Thanks for that eloquent pep-talk about the exciting tuba commissioning project Jim Grant is working on. I signed up the minute I heard about it and I urge anyone interested in being on the ground floor of 4 new works for tuba to climb on board now! In the early days of commissioning for tuba, our mentors like Harvey Phillips, Dan Perantoni, Bill Bell, and many others would personally front the money for the entire commission, often at a cost to their personal finances. With so many more excellent players and students of the tuba and euphonium around today, and with the advent of global communications and backyard publishing via a computer and a laser printer, it is now possible and fesible to do multi-performer commissions that keep the costs low and deliver a high quality product at a lower cost per unit than ever before. I have known Jim Grant for many years and believe me, he scratches out a very modest living as one of a handful of full time composers in this country. The fee of $60 in my opinion is not only a bargin for us tubists, but it is needed fuel for the entire concept of getting quality composers to write for our instrument at a price the composer can live with and at a price the average Joe playing tuba can afford! I am very excited about this project and I can't wait to sink my teeth into more music by Jim Grant! Mark Nelson, Pima Community College, Tucson AZ

The link to see Jim Grant's work and commission effort is: www.jamesgrantmusic.com

Follow Ups: