Re: tuckertuba(AT)msn.com

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Swensen on February 08, 2001 at 13:35:19:

In Reply to: tuckertuba(AT)msn.com posted by Dave on February 06, 2001 at 07:56:11:

Dave,
I can't offer much help for your current outbreak, except to wish you a speedy recovery.

In the future, you may have better luck if you start taking L-lysine the moment you suspect that you are developing a cold sore (eg. a burning or tingling sensation on the lip). Many believe that the severity and duration of cold sores is much less with aggressive, early intervention; that has been my personal experience.
It's not a good idea to take large doses of L-lysine all the time, but starting treatment and then stopping if the symptoms do not develop into a sore may be a good compromise.

Something else to work on, for the future, is the ability to shift your embouchure a little to either side of the optimal position, while maintaining good sound. Sometimes just a quarter of an inch can mean the difference between great pain and just mild discomfort, not just from cold sores, but from shaving nicks, bumps, and bruises from other activities. I believe that Arnold Jacobs used to demonstrate very healthy buzzes with his embouchure shifted all over the place, for what it's worth.

Follow Ups: