Re: Re: How to switch from Eb to CC/F?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 11, 2001 at 13:35:15:

In Reply to: Re: How to switch from Eb to CC/F? posted by DanN on February 11, 2001 at 03:39:29:

I agree with you, I say keep one of the Eb tubas and buy a good BBb or CC tuba. But which Eb to keep? The Yamaha 381 (321 with dependent 5th valve) is not a large Eb or small Eb really. It's kind of in between. My understanding is that the 983 plays a little smaller than the Yamaha so it gets my vote as the one to keep. Sell the Yamaha (this should be fairly easy because of the rarity of 5 valve models) and then buy a CC or BBb tuba. the 186 mentioned is a good choice in either CC or BBb. So is the 3/4 Rudy in CC or BBb (they make both). Also the VMI 3301 is pretty nice. All can be found used if you are patient. If you're keeping score, my first recommendation is 4, 1.

Of course, going with option 3 and buying a Willson Eb is probably the simplest solution. No new fingerings to learn, only one horn to worry about, and maybe cheaper in the long run (if you can find one used). They do come up used from time to time.

If the Yamaha 621F/Miraphone 186CC combo is really what is really desired, I say get the CC horn first. I always think of my CC as my primary horn. All the others are secondary, if you know what I mean. For this situation, get whichever horn is the one that will be used the most. That horn is going to be the "money" horn and the one that needs to be the most secure.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: