Re: tuning for doublers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd on February 12, 2001 at 13:31:53:

In Reply to: tuning for doublers posted by Scott on February 12, 2001 at 13:07:04:

Well, here is my philosophy on tuning. Last year I attended a clinic run by a representative of United Musical Instruments (UMI). The purpose of the clinic was to discuss tuning an ensemble (elementary, high school, etc) from top to bottom. Tuning is a neat thing. Tuners can tell you if you are in tune on a certain note at a given time. But what was stressed by the man was the use of the ear. (Which brings me to my biggest point) He explained that if you tune a Flute to A=440 and a tuba to A=440 (zeroing the tuner) we will hear the pitch as being out of tune. WEIRD! In order for the human ear to hear these two instruments in tune at A=440 the tuba must tune 10 cents flat and the flute must tune 10 cents sharp. I checked this theory out. Sure enough!!! When I tune 10 cents flat when I am playing a duet with my girlfriend (flutist) and she tunes 10 cents sharp...we SOUND in tune. I don't remember the UMI rep's reason why this happens, but I assume it has to do with tesatura (spelling?), overtones, and timbre. I have explained this to my friends countless times, but they still don't believe me. :(

Moral of the story, check what or whom you are tuning to. If the oboe is giving the pitch, check to see where they are tuning.

That might help!

Just my $0.02

Follow Ups: