Re: Best Orchestras?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aubrey Foard on February 12, 2001 at 23:26:46:

In Reply to: Best Orchestras? posted by Bill Jagnow on February 12, 2001 at 12:51:17:

Currently, I believe the world's best orchestras to be the Cleveland Orchestra and London Symphony. These orchestras not only play well together, but share and create wonderful musical ideas, and create awe-inspiring moments. I would also rate Chicago Symphony and Berlin Philharmonic near the top (especially under the direction of Barenboim). IMHO, New York has never had strong leadership (since Bernstein, anyway), although when they're led well and work hard, it comes out sounding pretty good. Masur, unfortunately, was not the greatest leader (although the live recording of Shostakovich's 7th "Leningrad" was pretty decent). Maazel should be an improvement and I'm hoping for good things (his recording of "Pictures" with Cleveland is outstanding). Vienna has always seemed to me to play well together in terms of balance and blend, but has never had much of any imagination (spare me your flamethrowers, please).

Follow Ups: