Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Women in orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 13, 2001 at 23:55:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Women in orchestras posted by Rick Denney on February 13, 2001 at 13:22:56:

I talked with my stand partner tonight and here is what he told me of the history:

The Miami Philharmonic went by the name "Florida Philharmonic" in the last couple of years of its existence. This orchestra folded in 1982. Mary DiFalco never played in the Miami Philharmonic unless to sub. The tubists were Connie Weldon and then John Stevens until it folded. My colleague remembered Mary DiFalco from her days in the UM tuba studio where she studied with Connie. Mary was Connie's ace student and she probably played with the now defunct Fort Lauderdale Symphony before it met its demise. Our guess is that the Fort Lauderdale Symphony was the spot they were auditioning for. Mary is now living in Israel where she is married but not playing tuba (as far as anyone knows).

Thanks to Bill for teaching me yet another name in this area's orchestral history! Maybe one day I'll get the whole story straight...

Follow Ups: