Re: Re: Re: Re: Women in orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on February 14, 2001 at 13:59:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Women in orchestras posted by Rick Denney on February 14, 2001 at 11:15:32:

Rick, Engineering is not exactly the same thing as Tuba players. My wife won the Sylvania Math Test Competition the year we graduated from High School but could not attend Cal Tech, M.I.T., Georgia Tech or any number of other schools because women were not allowed to attend engineering schools in those days. So women COULD NOT be in the pipeline with male engineers. Tubists have had the problem that until comparatively recently, tuba was not a legitimate major in conservatories. This affected all tubists, regardless of gender. I know, when I started teaching, we were coached to tell kids that there were good boy instruments and good girl instruments. I didn't belive in that so I didn't do it. I hope it is a discarded practice, universally. With women like Cheryl coming on to the music scene as tubists, it shouldn't be long until women tubists are common place, perhaps in the next 50 years.

Follow Ups: