Re: Re: Re: Asymetric Mouthpiece????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on February 14, 2001 at 14:07:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Asymetric Mouthpiece???? posted by Joe Baker on February 13, 2001 at 11:41:06:

I doubt if a programmable lathe could do this type of job, although I probably not have enough knowledge in this area to really speak about it but I will give my thoughts anyways.

On lathes in general the cutting force comes from the speed of the lathe. If you wanted to cut an assymetric piece you would have to slow it down to the point that the tool feed would have to go to the full inward position and back to the out position twice for every revolution of the piece. Even if you could slow the lathe down to 1000 rpm (Which would probably be too slow to cut the metal efficiently) I doubt if the tool feed would be able to move in and out at that speed. The tool would have to move in and out 2000 times in a minutes to keep up with the lathe. They are really designed to make one slow cut over hunreds of revolutions of the lathe with the speed of the lather doing most of the cutting. As I said in my opening sentence, these are just my thoughts on the subject, I might be way off base too. Like you said "a little knowledge/dangerous thing".

Follow Ups: