Re: YFB 621 pitch/mp?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 15, 2001 at 14:23:49:

In Reply to: YFB 621 pitch/mp? posted by cockroach on February 14, 2001 at 23:23:25:

I play a Conn Helleberg in my 621F with nary a complaint. My G on the top of the staff is predictably a bit flat, but everything else centers the needle on my tuner.

If you are having to fight your other instrument to get it in tune, you may be bringing the fight to this instrument. Relax.

Of course, have the horn checked for mechanical defects.

With all due respect to Chris, I haven't found that this horn's intonation is particularly sensititive to the mouthpiece insertion, or to the mouthpiece shape and size. Now, on the York Master that Chris used to own, I'm right there with him.

I've played a variety of mouthpieces in this horn in the last ten years, including a Warburton (large cup/medium backbore), a Miraphone Rose Orchestra (!), a Helleberg, an old-number PT-9 (can you say "oink?"), and the Yamaha 67B4 that came with the horn (which was the worst of the lot). One real advantage to this horn is that it soaks up a big mouthpiece without losing its sound; that's why its a great F tuba for BBb tuba players. It's tempting to use a small mouthpiece on this small horn, but everything about the horn improved for me when I abandoned that temptation.

Rick "never heard of an out-of-tune 621 before" Denney

Follow Ups: