Re: Re: Loans for tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian KNowlton on February 16, 2001 at 14:12:32:

In Reply to: Re: Loans for tuba posted by Cheryl on February 11, 2001 at 22:33:31:

I convinced the financial aid office that progress in my lessons was hindered by the quality of my instrument, that it was therefore necessary to raise my estimated yearly expense (for this year only) by $10,000 thus allowing me to receive a private loan. Because I am a Tuba Performance Major preparing for professional orchestral auditions, a professional instrument is absolutely necessary. I cannot make certain refinements in my playing if the problems are a result of inadequate equipment. A computer science major would not be expected to learn programming on an out-of-date computer.
I had to provide a letter from my tuba teacher stating the necessity for the new instrument and a letter from the vendor stating why this tuba is better than, say, one for half the price.
I have found the University environment extremely conducive to raising funds for music. My university gave me $3,000 to attend Aspen my freshman year, $3,000 to travel around the country and take lessons last summer (after my junior year), and has helped my buy a $10,000 tuba. THE MONEY IS OUT THERE!! Ask questions of your financial aid department. If you’re not happy with the answers, talk to their boss. Keep going up until you get what you want. Try talking to your student government if you continue to have problems; they love the opportunity to feel like their serving the student body. My student government gave my $2,000 of the afore mentioned money for Aspen and convinced the President of the University to allot the other $1,000 from a “discretionary” spending fund. For those interested, the $3,000 dollars for travel and lessons last summer came from a summer research award; this is another great-untapped resource for money! Remember, the role of the University is to provide you with the best opportunities for education. Demand that they follow-through! Good luck!

Follow Ups: