Re: multiphonics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark McMahon on February 17, 2001 at 12:34:13:

In Reply to: multiphonics posted by tubanator on February 17, 2001 at 10:12:49:

Let me begin by saying that I am still somewhat of a beginner with multiphonics. I am currently working on Jay Rozen's "In the 90% (Sturgeon's Law)" which has some multi phonics in it. In working on this technique, I have found that I have a tendency to tighten up/constrict the muscles in my throat while humming pitches and playing at the same time. Although my muscle constriction goes away immediately when I stop humming and resume normal playing (obviously,I haven't quite mastered doing this yet), I have seen some guys struggle with "tight throat" for a little while after they have attempted multiphonics. If you find that you are playing with muscle constriction in your throat, just relax and do some open breathing exercises away from your tuba. The muscles in your throat only work in one direction: they constrict and close the opening to your trachea. You can't "open up your throat" any more than your throat opens naturally while you are perfectly relaxed. So RELAX and think about that the next time you sit down with your tuba, and see if that might be causing your tonal variance. It's an easy hole to fall into while learning multiphonics and one that is easy to get out of if you identify the problem.

Follow Ups: