Re: A question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on February 21, 2001 at 10:30:06:

In Reply to: A question posted by Tim Murphy on February 18, 2001 at 00:35:53:

The difference only exists in Europe. The tier system used to classify orchestras in the US is based on finances only. In Austria or Germany, however, the State funds this field in a MUCH bigger way than over here. The various names imply the size, and playing level of the ensemble, as well as the level of financial support of the government. This is an implication, however, and the various groups all play however they play, regardless of finances...some smaller orchestras play as well as, or better than, their larger counterparts.

While playing over there, I observed that in a city with multiple orchestras, the name "philharmonic" usually applied to the big dogs, while "symphony" was applied to ensembles of a slightly less polished nature. Radio orchestras were usually below the symphony standard (Vienna Philharmonic vs. Vienna Symphony, or Berlin Philharmonic vs. the Bavarian Radio Orchestra). There is a very real difference in funding (and players' salaries!!) within these distinct "classes" of ensembles, but the quality issue doesn't always apply. Is the Graz Philharmonic better than the Vienna Symphony? I wouldn't venture to guess. But the pay and government support are not the same.

In the US, names are just that: names. In fact, some American ensembles even change names over here. Reasons vary, but bankruptcy is the most common. If you change the name, the "old" group can safely be folded and the safety of bankruptcy can be sought out, while the "new" (exact same) ensemble can be reconstituted with a clean slate. The orchestra can continue operating while the Board's lawyers and finance guys can figure out how to clear the debt. The old New Orleans Philharmonic died a cruel death, financially, and the players united and formed a (mostly) self-managed and self-governed group (a la the London Symphony Orchestra): the Louisiana Philharmonic.

In some cases, an orchestra changes names to further a "vision" or some mission statement ("Birmingham SO" to "Alabama SO", "Jackson SO" to Mississippi SO" etc.).

A name is only a name over here. Go see as many orchestras as you can in your life. The players will define that individual orchestra's character to you in a very real way. Of course, this is all based on my personal perspective. Your observations may be more acute than mine.

By the way, according to Webster's:
Philharmonic: loving harmony, a symphony orchestra.
Symphony: concordant in sound, a symphony orchestra.

Go figure. Later!

Wade Rackley

Follow Ups: