Re: am I good to go??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on February 21, 2001 at 21:49:47:

In Reply to: am I good to go?? posted by Julie on February 21, 2001 at 17:41:54:

Miraphone 186-5UCC seems to be often and highly recommended as an excellent choice as a first tuba for HS/college music majors. It also gets frequently frowned at as NOT being a serious tuba for symphonic use -- too "lightweight", too "bright". I read here, recently, that Indiana University students seem to end up with tubas that Custom Music sells. I therefore assume that Dan Perantoni may be recommending the PT-3,4,6,etc. line of tubas, or maybe also the MW-2145,55,65? Among *these* tubas are several with larger, fuller, darker voices. Better for larger groups, symphonic playing, etc. And they have a significantly higher price tag.

When I recently tried a few CC tubas at Brasswind, I could get the best sound the easiest out of the Miraphone 186CC among the few I tried. I didn't try the 188 -- it's advantage would be a little bigger sound -- better for larger groups, maybe worse for soloing.

The 186 is probably the best "bang for the buck" as a good quality, first CC tuba. I'm seriously considering this tuba, because I don't need a 5/4 sound, since I'd be using mine for quintet and pit orchestra. Take a day trip to South Bend, Indiana, and try every 4/4 CC tuba you can get your lips on!

Good luck,

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: