Re: am I good to go??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on February 22, 2001 at 07:48:47:

In Reply to: am I good to go?? posted by Julie on February 21, 2001 at 17:41:54:

Julie,
Don't you just wish that you could get the latest isue of consummer reports and open up to the section on buying a new or used Tuba! Well unfortunately the music industry doesn't have that kind of publication yet but for now as you may have read that this BBS is closest thing you can get to it. If I had the choice to make that you do I would say go with your teachers reccomendation, that is unless you plan on studying with someone else in college then that may or may not change every thing. I have had two brand new horns in my life a Yamaha 641 and a Besson Silver Sousaphone. I no longer have either but my point is that this horn you buy soon with most likely not be the last horn you buy trade or what have you. If Alan Baer says that at this point in your developement that the 186 is a good match than if you trust him the only course for you would be to play test as many different 186's that you can to find the one you like. My 186 was made in 1962 and I have owned it since 1986. Aside for some minor adjustments and repairs it is the same horn that it was in 1962 but with a few dents and very little lauqer left. It sounds like you have a great amount of advice from around you so I would think that having Alan with you to choose a horn is a must if at all possible. The Tuba is a really cool tool and there are (lucky for you) alot to choose from but the Mirafones have been around along time and have a very respectable track record. My pick would be to get a 186s and the pro 186 together and decide which sounds best when played. The nickle silver trimings are nice to look at but not really a must for good sound production. Nickle silver lead pipes tend to last longer over the years of spit that goes through them. The most important thing is decide what you absolutely need in a horn and not some much what you want and go from there. Remember Alan is a Mirafone rep and ask him if he were a B&S or MW rep would he be reccomending one of those instead. Have fun and get back to practice!
Randy,"I still think that if it costs over 5grand it should have 4 wheels and get 35 miles a gallon!"Mac Iver
PS That 188 on ebay is most likely a great deal for what you would get and "no the 188 is not to big because if you go on to be famous you will probably get an Eb or F to do solo work on any way. What does Alan play? I'm going to get my flame retardent suit on now.

Follow Ups: