Re: Percussionist seeks info for tubist son

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 22, 2001 at 11:34:00:

In Reply to: Percussionist seeks info for tubist son posted by Mark on February 22, 2001 at 10:49:39:

Some choices:

Miraphone 186 or S186: These are at the top end of what you should spend, and they are in the $4000+ range. They will be good horns through college and into later life unless he is really good and goes pro. They are also well made, durable, and repairable. They are also easy to play with good intonation and versatility.

King 2341: This year's new version of this classic is getting rave reviews. It is less expensive (we hope) than the Miraphone, and represents a different concept. It is perhaps even easier to play than the Miraphone, and is more oriented toward a rounder sound than the more column-like Miraphone.

Jupiter 582: Similar to the King. It's made in Taiwan, but don't let that put you off--it's a worth tuba.

VMI 2301: I agree with Tim--this is a good horn with similar characteristics to the Miraphone for less money.

If you still can't afford these horns, then Custom Music in Detroit sells a Sanders line comprising horns made all over the place. The good ones are the rebadged Cervenys, made in the Czech Republic. They play reasonably well and are a good value, but they are not as durable as the above choices, and they will likely attract more dents. (If you buy from them, take a tuba player along for protection.)

Avoid instruments made in Russia or China. They present too many quirks--some of them fatal--for a young player.

The cheapest worthy choice is a Weril, which is a 3/4-size horn that is an approximate facsimile of a Yamaha YBB 621. It's a good horn, but small, and may be too small for him when he gets to high school. He'll want a horn that can compete size-wise with the school horns the other kids will be playing.

There's my list. But I think you will serve your son's musical interests far better by spending the money on lessons with a good teacher. If you are already doing that, then take these responses to the teacher and ask his advice. He'll have the understanding of your son's playing that will help you make an appropriate choice. He may recommend that your son start playing a C tuba if he shows real potential to become a professional player, in which case the choices broaden but the prices generally go up.

Recognize that whatever instrument you buy will probably not be your son's instrument for life. As he grows as a player, even if he is an amateur, he will develop in ways he may not expect now, and his equipment choices will become refined. Despite being a second-rate amateur, I'm using different equipment now than the horns I dreamed about in school. Resist the temtation to compete with other parents by buying your son a pro instrument. That said, the instruments on my list are good enough for many pro applications, and won't hold your son back.

Rick "who thinks kids today enjoy a good life" Denney

Follow Ups: