Re: Absolute First Public Solo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 22, 2001 at 17:57:53:

In Reply to: Absolute First Public Solo posted by Chuck Jackson on February 22, 2001 at 09:43:01:

Morceau Symphonique - Guilmant
Michigan State Fair Honors Band
William D. Revelli, Conducting
June/July 1979

There is a funny story about these performances that I just have to tell. I've never been a soloist kind of player, it just isn't my strength. But when Revelli asks, you do not say no. Ever. So I learned the piece quickly and had it ready for the week long run. At the first performance, my music blew off the stand (we played in a large outdoor amphitheater) after the first few bars. This was the first time I had ever played a solo in front of a group and I completely didn't know what to do. Fortunately, one of the flute players grabbed the music and clipped it back on my stand while I continued playing from memory. Imagine my surprise when I finally looked up at the music and saw that the side showing was the treble clef side (the Guilmant comes in both treble and bass clefs, one on each side of the two pages). Since I couldn't read treble clef in high school, it's a good thing I had pretty much memorized the solo...

Follow Ups: