Re: Today's question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tristan on February 24, 2001 at 12:58:37:

In Reply to: Today's question posted by Carl L on February 24, 2001 at 10:27:58:

When I was student teaching in the late 70's, my supervising teacher had season tickets to Student Night at the Chicago Symphony. One night he had a spare box seat ticket for $10. It was an hour drive to the hall, I was tired and didn't want to go. He twisted my arm and eventually dragged me to my first ever CSO concert. The box was on stage right almost looking over G. Solti's left shoulder and the first violins were directly beneath me. Listening to everyone warmup from that vantage point gave the hall a very intimate atmosphere. Jake and the trombones, their bells pointing across the stage directly at my box, all sounded good in their warmups, but it didn't give me any idea what was to come. Mr. Solti came onstage to enthusiastic applause and turned and began Bruckner's Symphony No. 6. When the brass all played together accented by the timpani, stylistically unified with near perfect intonation the result was electric. At that very moment, I knew that I would never use my ed degree. I called Mr. Jacobs that week and started taking lessons immediately. Thanks to that concert I am a professional musician today. The best $10 I ever spent. Bruckner 6 is still one of my favorite pieces.

Follow Ups: