Pls read before flaming: BBb vs. CC?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on February 24, 2001 at 13:46:53:

[dual post: BBS/tubaeuph]

First, the background explanation:

I'm not trying to bring up the old question, 'cause I know it doesn't REALLY matter that much. And I know all the conventional wisdom. For me personally, when I get ready to add a contrabass tuba to complement my Eb Besson (which isn't big enough for all the playing I do), I'm generally inclined to pick whichever key of tuba comes along first that's a good quality horn. However, here are a few thoughts and observations:

1. I just flipped through my quintet folder. I'd guess 90-95% of the pieces are written in one or more flats, with Eb, Bb and F being the most prevalent.
2. The other instruments in the traditional quintet are pitched in either Bb or F.

Combine these observations with:

3. Playing BBb tuba would make the addition of a euph (later on) much less mentally painful.
4. I played BBb for 20-25 years before switching to Eb about 5 years ago.

SO . . . I'm beginning to think that a well playing BBb (esp. in the upper register -- as I have a desire to use it for some of my quintet playing, to complement the smaller Eb, or F should I switch) might be just as good of a choice as a 4/4 CC, which I had been seriously pondering.

BUT HERE'S THE *specific* QUESTION that I have:

From #2 above: Is there really any significant impact on ensemble intonation in a traditional quintet (tpt, tpt, horn, tbn, tuba), when considering a choice between BBb and CC? I occasionally hear comments about overtones, harmonics, etc. Is there *really* anything to these concerns? What are your opinions?

(None of the other thoughts posted above, nor any other argument I've heard argues definitively for one or the other -- there are valid reasons for either choice. For me, it may end up with a coin toss!)

Thanks,

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: