Re: Essential tuba music(sheet)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on February 26, 2001 at 09:45:38:

In Reply to: Essential tuba music(sheet) posted by BigDodge on February 26, 2001 at 02:32:26:

Hey Dave,
You might want to check out the tips section of this BBS at the top of the page under "Tips". The Skip Gray pedagogical info is very good and there is a version of a chordal warm up that will get you started reading the Tuba range and also can be played on Euph for free. Dr Fun's stuff is also very good. Go to the www.tubaonline site and check out the links from there. Encore Music's web site has sample of most things they sell so you can look before you buy kind of thing. There are many text and method and etude books available and some of my favorites are;
Bordogni 43 Bel Canto Etudes, this would be a good start not too difficult and gets you playing in a legato style which will make you focus on use of more air flow and stylistic interpretation. They are akin to Italian type shower songs and also can be read down an octave more to play in the pedal register of the Tuba once you progressed that far. The Tyrell Advance studies for Tuba is also a favorite of mine. You can't go wrong with any of the Bill Bell or Arban Methods especially the newer versions at encore. Some type of scale book with chords like the Bill Bell warm up routine or Bell Scales are a must. From a practical stand point it would be a good idea to get a spiral binder of staff paper and start practicing writting out the Major and three forms of Minor Scales in a two octave or three octave format for note recognition. This is especially helpful for below the staff ledgerlines. If you don't take lessons privately you may wish to consider a private teacher on a once a week or once a month basis because it is always a good practice to get another perspective on your playing. The other Major Free option you have is this Tubenet that is chockfull of info on all sorts of topics associated with playing tuba from beginers to expert players. Check the Archives which you may already have. If anything that I have stated here is already obvious to you please excuse my ignorance, because not having heard you play makes this like giving advice to a blank screen.
I believe Tony Clemments (California)is selling Alex horns and posts on this list regularly so to restate, start reading the archives. Hope this helps..
Randy Mac Iver

Follow Ups: