Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: york copy clarification

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 01, 2001 at 00:22:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: york copy clarification posted by CK on February 28, 2001 at 21:18:55:

That's my recollection. The story I heard was that the original Yorkbrunner was a copy of #2. A few years ago, Hirsbrunner offered a modification package to all current Yorkbrunner owners (Fritz Kaenzig told me about this) because Gene had allowed Hirsbrunner access to #1 and there were measurable differences. At the same time as the "package" was offered, the new Yorkbrunners were changed so that they resembled the old one with the modifications. At least that is the story I heard.

A similar thing is going on with the Nirschl. When I bought mine, it came with an extra new leadpipe. When I asked why, the story I got was that Gene had taken a trip to the B&M factory and he let them make several copies of the leadpipe on #1. Gene then tried these new leadpipes out, one at a time, to see which one he liked best. The one he chose is the one they started using on all the new horns and they also sent me one for mine. In my conversation with Warren Deck about the differences between the older and newer Nirschls, he told me a few things about how they are different. Minor differences like a larger 5th valve but definitely differences.

I find it very comforting to know that even though this style of horn is antiquated and has set back the development of the tuba world 50 years, that the primary producers of these instruments are still taking steps to improve the design. Imagine that.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: