A Chop Issue/Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Arnold on February 01, 2002 at 15:00:56:

I pose this to you folks to get your opinion. Last semester I dealt with some chop weirdness. I even went to the dentist to see if I had TMJ etc... She didn't think I had any sort of disorder but rather and injury to the muscles in my face. More specifically my cheeks. I guess that is what playing in two school orchestras, jazz band, brass quintet and a rep class will do to your face. In the past I had always been happy with the way my face felt to matter how much I played. The pain had been scaring the heck out of me ie I am a masters student, what else can I do at this point? However, after much thought and experimental practice, I think I have found a clue. I believe that my "corners" had and or have gotten lazy and somewhat loose. This makes the muscles further back have to pick up the slack. Cheek muscles just aren't ideal enough to be able to do this. Think about it, everytime you have ever seen someone quiver, isn't it their cheek rather the area just around the mouthpiece? Let me know what you think about this, I have already had some limited success getting back to the firm corners with mouthpiece buzzing, mirror watching etc... Thanks for your input,
I seem to be getting my second wind,
Arnold

Follow Ups: