Re: A Poll: Favorite Solo F Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton on February 03, 2002 at 11:48:41:

In Reply to: A Poll: Favorite Solo F Tuba posted by Big Steve on February 03, 2002 at 02:52:09:

For solo and small ensembles, here are some good ones to consider. But also consider the sound that you'll get and the tone as well:

MW182 (Meinl Weston) - mostly for solo since it's small, but you still get a big sound so quintet and other chamber groups would work. Meinl Weston's known for their dark sound.

YFB621 (Yamaha) - also as small as the MW182, but a bigger sound with clarity (has piston valves). This would be great for ensembles, but the sound for solo is a matter of preference. There is no resistance in the air flow (well, barely) like all Yamahas, that's why the lower notes are easy and clear.

PT10 and PT-15 (B&S) - If I'm correct, these two are the same, except the PT15 has a bigger bell. I play the PT15 and it has a nice German sound with clarity, but I personally would prefer a smaller bell and bore like the PT10 or the B&S Symphonie model. Since I do play on this, I'm bias, but I really like the singing tone on the B&S. I still yet need to try the MW182 though. Oh yeah, and I use a PT64 mouthpiece with it. It's a smaller version than Mike's PT-65 mouthpiece.

Now these are the more popular ones and still can play in smaller groups, but they sound like C tubas. If you want to sound like a C tuba choose from the bottom, if you want a more bright and clear soloistic sound, choose the top:

YFB822 (Yamaha) - probably the more popular ones that many people use around the country. I know 4 studio guys that use them. Just like the 621, but it's bigger. Also used for solo, if you like the sound from it and if you can sing through it (lyrically speaking).

Mirafone 181 - the new one that just came out it great! My teacher got one, being a traditional Mirafone user, and the lower register is as good as the Yamaha, and has that German rotary sound. I liked it, except I like my F tubas small and this sounded a little too big. It's pretty heavy too.

MW45 (all of the them) - There are 3 or 4 different Meinl Weston F tubas fo this kind. I played on this one too and I thought it sounded the biggest out of all the big F tubs. HUGE fatty sound as well as the lower notes. Not as free blowing as the Mirafone and the Yamaha. It is a good horn. All of these are great for orchestra, along with the B&S F tubas on the "small F tuba" list.

Ok, good luck. And to save some money, find a used one if you can and try all of the horns that's on your list.

-W

Follow Ups: