Re: Re: Tuba Concerto

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Micky Wrobleski on February 06, 2002 at 13:34:20:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba Concerto posted by Rick Denney on February 06, 2002 at 10:43:58:

In regards to the Frigyes Hidas Tuba Concerto, here's my $.02....

If a high tessitura is one's definition of a "hard" piece, then, yes, this piece would be hard. Other than that, it is very idiomatic. Within two or three readings, I was ready to start digging into it. All of the themes and melodies are pleasant to hear and make sense. There is nothing that really takes one by surprise. It's probably best suited for the F tuba, which, I believe, is what the composer had in mind.

The piano reduction is a good one, while with any reduction, you loose the colors and timbres of the full ensemble, but, I think it is still rather effective. The pianist I read through it with said it was pretty user friendly.

All in all, the technicl demands are not all that severe. It does tend to lie in the atmoshere a touch, but, not so much as to make it unplayable.

I don't know if these remarks meant anything, but, I thought I would throw them out there, as I'm sure this is a none-too-familiar piece.

Follow Ups: