Re: New King 2341

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on February 13, 2002 at 22:27:51:

In Reply to: New King 2341 posted by Greg Crider on February 13, 2002 at 15:17:54:

A local middle school recently purchased on of these horns. Of course, sine it's the *new* tuba, all the middle school guys think it's just the absolute best hing since sliced bread.
I feel like the party pooper everytime i say this, but i haven't been too impressed with the king 2341. My 30 year old miraphone wounds better, and it too needs no tuning adjustment for most of its range, and when i did a side by side comparison witht hat same school's Yamaha 201, strangely enough the 201 won out. The sound of the 2341 reminded me somewhat of the sound of that YBB 641 you all have heard me whine aobut before. The pistons seemed to be lacking in their drive to come back up after i had pushed them down. When i increased speed to a fast Bb scale, the sound muddied up very quickly as the valves got lost coming up. I can play both higher and lower on my miraphone.

I know each person is different, but with all this hype over the horn, i feel i must either have a wacked out concept of sound and desirable playing characteristics, or i just got hold of a bad horn.

Doug "the short stubby big belled horn i want is made by getzen" G

Follow Ups: