Re: All opinions on choices for first tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on February 14, 2002 at 17:39:58:

In Reply to: All opinions on choices for first tuba posted by Tuba Novice on February 14, 2002 at 10:59:02:

I know the rotary v. piston thing has gone on since tubas have bben around, but let me see if i can understand thois situation.

You are a High School player looking to buy a tuba because the school owned horns are c**p. Now, undoubtedly, you have experienced school-quality pisotn valves, which has made you think rotaries are instantly better. Rotary valves are better than school pistons (ie, old, no care, freeze often, loud, etc). I've played both rotary valve and piston valve professional quality horns, and in that case i like both equally. You are probably doing the same thing I did: you say "ive seen pisotns valves, they suck, so rotaries are the way to go."

Of course i could be wrong, but i'd suggest trying top quality, but relatively inexpensive pro piston horns. The king 2341 thats mentioned comes to mind, i dont like it personally, but i've discovered over the years that im wierd.

For consistency of quality, within your 4 choices, go with the mirafone. They will never so you wrong. Ever. Besides, a used Mirafone 186 is just about the cheapest horn you can buy, and they last forever, assuming you don't go to a school where kids literally get their kicks destroying you instrument.

People who own St. Pete's swear by them, but the mirafone sounds just as good and for less money if you buy used you get better valves and harder brass, which means longer life.

I hate YBB-641s, so i wont go there.

Never played a meinl weston, though i want to at some point.

On a final thought--I am kicking myself to this day for not going ahead and getting a CC horn in 10th grade and taking the time early to learn the fingerings. There is so much available in the CC world in terms of quality and innovation that i just dont see in the BBb market. Plus you will have an edge iin college or at any festival/competition, if for no other reason than the intimidation factor. Whether its true or not, others will se you as "better" and they will have that in mind for years, opening a door for you to succeed.

Hope that helped without ranting too much

Doug "wants a CC horn made by getzen" G

Follow Ups: