Re: Future for Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 14, 2002 at 17:57:17:

In Reply to: Future for Music posted by Leonard Mathews on February 14, 2002 at 16:26:46:

First - are you talking about "music" or about "music education"? You ask about the "Future for Music" - but most of the references in your post are about "music education". In my opinion, there is a BIG difference between the two.

On to the important points. I'll say what everyone here expects me to say: "figure out what you want to do 24/7, and do it. If you are any good at it, someone will pay you."
Pay no attention whatsoever to what *anyone* says about "the job market". A bad job doing something you are interested in is light-years ahead of a great job doing something that bores you to tears. But, as a sop to the "job market" crowd, pay a little bit of attention to "credentials". Some jobs have fairly rigid requirements for credentials. Most do not - but "education" (including music education) does.

Almost any job that requires a Bachelor's degree requires very little more than that. Many companies hire new employees with seemingly bizarre majors and give them the
on-the-job training necessary. I don't know of many jobs which require a "business" degree. There are some where an "engineering" degree is a big plus.

Music education *does* require a specific degree (and certification). So, if life as a band director is a serious option for you, this tilts the scale just a bit towards finishing the music ed degree. You can work for IBM with a Music Ed major - but you can't teach at Washington Irving Elementary School with a business degree.

If you choose the music ed degree, listen to the advice Jay Bertolet will give you to ALSO take a few business courses. There is, after all, a significant music BUSINESS and someone with both music training (even music ed) and business training will find many niche opportunities.

For me, the bottom line here is: how do you feel about TEACHING? Your choice isn't really business vs music - it's working for a corporation vs teaching. Too many musicians complete music ed degrees believing in their hearts that they will be failures (in music) if they actually end up teaching. This is the worst sort of mistake possible.

If you WANT to teach music, then do the music ed degree and supplement it with other things (business, sure - but how about physics, or poetry, or philosophy?)

If you PREFER business, then bail out of music ed, and avoid all the (so called) Mickey Mouse degree requirements (the ones that try to prepare you to *teach*). Continue to keep music in your life - and don't forget the physics, poetry, and philosophy.

Don't (repeat DO NOT) base your decision on "job market" considerations. 50% of what you hear about the job market is wrong today, and 100% of it will be wrong in 5 years. (well, one thing is true - middle school band directors will never be highly paid and secure in their jobs. But then, business majors will find the corporate office a bit
off-putting at times, too).

All of the successful people I know have had to re-cycle their training and interests every 5 years. 10 years from now it will be entirely inconsequential what "major" you choose (but it *will* matter that you complete *some* degree). Decide what you really want to do for the next few years, and go for it (only remember to force yourself to diversify and broaden your outlook and your preparation).

Best of luck!

Follow Ups: