Re: horn for college?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Christian on February 19, 2002 at 16:04:54:

In Reply to: horn for college? posted by me on February 18, 2002 at 22:28:44:

I was in the very same boat you were about 2 years ago. In fact, almost the exact boat. i had about that much money, and didn't know where i was going officially. I decided it didn't matter what horn i played or what my teacher preferred, as long as i sounded good on it. Thats what really counts. The yamaha 621 is an average horn but you may do better with going to a place like dillons and picking up a good used horn. Make extra certain that the horn doesn't have really funky notes (intonation-wise) cause i made that mistake. It's really up to the horn you think you sound best on. 4/4 size is perfect for college cause you need to be able to adapt to playing in large concert bands and symphony orchestras, as well as chamber orchestras and brass quintets. if you like your sound on the yamaha, then buy it, but if you sound better on another horn that maybe your prof has mixed feelings about, go with what you want, you're spending the money after all.

ps--i've heard from my prof that the newer miraphones aren't as good as those from the 70's, so maybe used is the answer. This may sound contradicting because i just said don't believe everything others say, but it's at least some advice if you don't want to use any of the other stuff i said :)

Follow Ups: