Re: Re: Euphonium preferences

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott F on February 21, 2002 at 12:09:20:

In Reply to: Re: Euphonium preferences posted by Rick F. on February 21, 2002 at 11:10:27:

I completely agree with Rick's comments about the Yamaha compensating euphoniums, the 642 and 842. I had to sell my beloved 642 recently since we're buying a new house...and I REALLY miss it...I've got an older Willson 2900 that will do until I can afford to get another Yamaha. Every horn grabs different folks differently. The Willson 2900 euphoniums have been proclaimed on this list to have a deep dark sound....yet in my hands they produce a thin brittle sound (in contrast to the 642 which was very dark and rich for me). Since a number of fine players will disagree with that sentiment, go and try them for yourself. As an aside, I played by far the BEST Willson euph I ever played at the Ft. Myer conference...the front valved compensating 2975...Although it still was a tad bright for my taste, it had a sound just as big as the Yamahas. Still, I liked the 2975 immensely better than the 2900 that I've been honking on. The Yamaha 842 is outstanding as well. Response and ergonomics are improved over the 642. Using a different mouthpiece (51D) than my previous trial (SM3) in a side by side comparison, I found practically no differences in tone.

Follow Ups: