Re: Where is the BEST place to study?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Harrison on February 22, 2002 at 07:55:32:

In Reply to: Where is the BEST place to study? posted by Tim on February 22, 2002 at 05:51:52:

The Juilliard school in New York City with Warren Deck as the instructor is a superb place to study. Warren is the Principal Tubist of the New YOrk Philharmonic Orchestra. I studied with Warren. He is a great teacher. He is one of the great players who can tell you how he got that way. He is superb at analyzing problems and crafting personalized solutions in words that you can understand.

Paul Krzywicki, the tubist of the Philadelphia Orchestra, is the tuba instructor at the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, PA. Paul has a great record of former students with orchestral jobs in the USA. My experience studying with Paul is that he is the man to whom to go when most of your mechanical playing problems are under control. His focus is more on the interpretation of the orchestral repertoire and audition preparation.

The Eastman School of Music in Rochester, New York, is fortunate to have my friend Don Harry as the tuba instructor. Don taught at the Juilliard School for about ten years prior to Warren Deck's current tenure. Though I have never had a lesson with Don, I know many of his former students and I have heard the results that he has produced. You can't go wrong with Don Harry either.

Follow Ups: