Re: What Mouthpiece and Why.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brent on February 23, 2002 at 00:56:05:

In Reply to: What Mouthpiece and Why. posted by Tracy B. on February 21, 2002 at 11:45:06:

Tracy,

I use to play on a Conn Helleberg (Large) but finally settled on a Bach 12.It seems to give me the sound, range and response in all registers that I want. The other factors that affect sound, resonance and response are: the shape and size of one's oral cavity, whether the mouthpiece shank size(also taper) mates properly to the mouthpiece receiver.Also, a C tuba's tonal quality is different than a Bb tuba. If you have played on a Bb tuba for a while using a Conn Helleberg mouthpiece, then switch to a C tuba, your tonal quality will definitely change even though you might be using the same mouthpiece. There are many other factors to consider- bowl shaped mouthpieces v.s. funnel, size of backbore, etc. You may want to experiment with different makes and models of mouthpieces by having someone listen to you play on various mouthpieces in a fairly good sized recital hall. Don't make the playing examples to long and play them exactly the same way every time on each mouthpiece. Have the person record their comments on the mouthpieces and maybe you can even tape-record the experiment as well. Have fun! Hope I haven't been to long-winded.

Follow Ups: