Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Testing Out Horns--HELP!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by J. Clark on February 24, 2002 at 02:42:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Testing Out Horns--HELP!!! posted by dp on February 23, 2002 at 14:03:35:

OK,

To clear up things a bit, I remember my new student (Skyview Tuba) telling me that he would soon be getting his parents to purchase a new tuba. After asking if he had any horns in mind to TRY, he mentioned most of the top tubas around (that we ALL read about quite often on this BBS). I felt that the PT6P and the MW 2000 (of the tubas he mentioned) would be the best all-around choice for a serious student with performance/professional aspirations. Skyview plans to study music (posibly performance) in college. I also assumed if he mentioned tubas of a high caliber like the PT6P or MW 2000, then it was not out of the question that his parents might consider buying either horn (assuming THEY know the price tag attached to either one) We have not talked about it since that lesson and I have not talked to his folks in detail about this either (not yet anyway).

Basically, I said that those tubas stand out as being quality instruments worth their price. The PT6P was the FIRST tuba I bought (granted, this was when I was going to grad. school) Most people, due to financial constraints and such, can't usually make a purchase
of this magnitude as their first horn. Obviously, there are great "starter" tubas for less money that will do most students pretty well, until they NEED to upgrade. I guess I am writing to explain that I was NOT telling Skyview that he should definitely buy one of those two tubas without question. I do agree with your idea (Dale) that he should go out and try as many different horns as possible. I don't think that anyone could really argue about the PT6P and/or MW2000 being high quality instruments. If Skyview tries all the horns and still wants a PT6 or whatever, it's up to his folks then. If they are willing to buy the horn, great. It is also my hope that Skyview will also read my post. Sorry for rambling and sorry for any spelling errors. It's late here.

Sincerely,
J. Clark

Follow Ups: