Re: TRAVEL ALERT

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on February 24, 2002 at 23:14:36:

In Reply to: TRAVEL ALERT posted by David Zerkel on February 24, 2002 at 20:35:35:

The comments about shipping FedEx or UPS instead of flying have some merit, but be warned...

The number of people handling your horn, and the number of conveyor belts and automated sorting machinery that it must travel through with the shippers is an order of magnitude higher than at an airport. The logistical complexity of getting all of those packages, boxes and crates to the right locations is truly mind-boggling. More variables = more chances for your instrument to get smushed, and more opportunity to deny negligence on the part of the carrier. Your beloved tuba means nothing to them. It's a big package, and it will be routed and handled just like the big package of boxer shorts on the pallet in front of it. One of my co-workers was formerly employed at a FedEx shipping terminal, and his anecdotes have led me to swear that I'll never let them ship my horn. Others may have a different take, but I'm not going to chance it.

An even better bet might be to buy your tuba(s) a bus ticket on Greyhound. For me, if it's within a day's drive (which from Knoxville is a large part of the eastern US), I'll drive it and at least know that it will be handled with care. It's also a great way to catch up on my music listening.

SD

Follow Ups: