Buddy Rich quotes: part 2

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on February 28, 2002 at 10:32:07:

I have the collection of Buddy Rich tapes detailing some of the encounters with his horn sections. They remind me of how good I've had it with other leaders. I enjoy his bands, but would not want to be in the aim of his verbal instructions. (hahahahaha)

I heard his band live back in '76, at Little Rock, Arkansas as an 8th grader in my high school jazz band. During the concert, his piano player was soloing in a section when a rather loud audience member started verbaly critiqueing the performance. Buddy stopped the group, stood up, and started telling the audience member what he thought about his relations with his mother. Buddy further stated that this person could also have relatiuons with himself, (I lost track of the number of times Buddy suggested this course of action, but it was well above 20), and threatened to kick the guys donkey repeatedly. I'm sure Buddy meant all he said. He looked and sounded fierce, although the audience member was 6'7" and around 300 lbs.

You could hear the pin drop as time stood still. After raving more about the critic's maternal relations. He finally allowed the piano player to continue from the stopping point. Thankfully, he knew where Buddy stopped, and picked right back up into the solo.

I have never encountered the amount of abuse that seemed to come from this leader. I did work for a leader that would get drunk, cuss everyone, and fall off the stage ocassionally. To give credit where its due, Buddy always had a clean playing, high powered group.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: