Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Gronitz PCK a BAT as we know them?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 05, 2003 at 12:01:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Is Gronitz PCK a BAT as we know them? posted by I guess! on February 05, 2003 at 10:37:28:

Oh, maybe. I think Yamaha instruments suffer a worse polarity. For example, the 621 F tuba is widely used by professionals, and widely complained about by those who prefer something else. Miraphones also get used by many professionals, and are reviled by others.

As for me, the Conn 20J had warmth and resonance, but it lacked workable ergonomics, an even scale, and manageable intonation. I have played other examples that were better than mine in most ways. I didn't hate my 20J by any means, but I found I could not use it in the performance opportunities that came my way. Our band played stuff at summer concerts that required what the 20J didn't have--a fourth valve and workable intonation--in addition to needing a wide dynamic range at the soft end which is a lot of work on a recording tuba, especially a Conn BAT. For, say, Dixieland jazz, the 20J would be fine; you could play only the notes that work well, and you don't need the extended pianissimos that are required in concert music. I don't play Dixieland jazz often enough, or well enough, to make it worth owned a 20J just for that. I find that the Holton provides all the same warmth and resonance, without any of the detracting elements. Again, I've played some big Conns that were more manageable than mine, and I have no doubt that a more skilled player could work around those issues more effectively than I could.

What the big Conns truly have that cannot be matched by any other lap tuba is a low price. For the price of around a kilobuck, you get an instrument perhaps with flaws and some "experience" but also with great music-making potential. The Holton may be better, but it was also far more expensive. I can't think of how one would spend a grand more effectively for much of the sort of music played by many community bands, with the possible exception of a good sousaphone.

Rick "who enjoyed the 20J but who only has room for one BAT" Denney

Follow Ups: