Re: Re: Re: Re: Rudy troubles

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David L. Simmons on February 06, 2003 at 00:22:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Rudy troubles posted by :) on February 05, 2003 at 22:19:09:

I know exactly what you are going through. Until very recently, my Boehm & Meinl "Symphonic" CC tuba was pretty much useless from GG on down. I saw Doug Elliot at one of the TUSAB Tuba-Euphonium Conferences some time ago. He sold me a nice mouthpiece and checked the inside of my reciever, discovering that someone at the B & M factory had not cut a taper inside it for the mouthpiece. Unfortunately, he did not have his reamer with him. A few years passed and I still struggled and cursed myself and this horn. I finally saw Doug again at the last conference two weeks ago and we agreed to meet soon to rectify the leadpipe problem. He also encouraged me to experiment with shanks and I left him that day with a size 7E. This improved things somewhat. Once again, the reamer was in his shop. I drove there last weekend to finally have this done and to purchase a Silent Brass from Washington Music Center (I'll report on it later when I've had sufficient time to use it) Doug cut the appropriate taper in no time, and for the first time, had no mouthpiece wobble at all. I tried to pay him, but he refused to take any money. At quintet practice Sunday night, the difference was unbelievable! It was like having an obstruction removed from inside the horn. The lower register actually spoke without a tremendous amount of effort. Some of the "problem notes" pitch-wise straightened out too. If you can get to the DC area, look up Doug and have him evaluate your horn/mouthpiece fit. Sorry if this sounds like a commercial, but just speaking from experience. Best of luck to you!

Follow Ups: