Re: Re: Re: I envy all of you

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on February 06, 2003 at 23:51:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: I envy all of you posted by Jay Bertolet on February 06, 2003 at 20:05:12:

Jay,
Thanks for giving me a chance to clarify my remarks. I didn't intend to imply that symphony pros are putting their feet up and taking it easy once they land the gig. I've known a couple of guys that got to that level, and it's not in their makeup, even if they could get away with it.

Consider a hypothetical orchestral tubist; we'll call him "Elmer". Elmer got the job last year, and is a fine player. When he auditioned, he played his audition expertly, as did two other players. But he had something commanding in his sound, some edge, that made HIS version of 'expertly' a little better than the other guys' versions, so he got the job. The most important excerpt was from the "Blowout Symphony in B Flat", which the orchestra is playing tonight. Elmer's usual instrument is being repaired, so he has borrowed another instrument for the concert, one that he sounds very good on, but not AS good. He has prepared for the concert, he will play the concert well, and everyone will be pleased with his performance. But if he'd sounded that way the day of the audition, he might not have won the job. This is what I meant when I said, "it is one thing to completely satisfy everyone once you GET into the orchestra; it is another thing entirely to get there in the first place."

I hope I explained my meaning a little better.

Joe Baker, who did not intend to imply that pros were phoning it in.

Follow Ups: