Re: Patrick Sheridan Program

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on February 07, 2003 at 11:14:21:

In Reply to: Patrick Sheridan Program posted by Allison on February 07, 2003 at 10:23:06:

Good for you Allison. Keep up the enthusiasm. It is difficult to maintain that level of inspiration for too long after a guest artist leaves, so make the decision and set goals now.

As for the multiphonics... I'm sure you'll get beaten up by others for that so I'll leave it alone.

Mr. Sheridan is sure a great player. I don't know if he talked about how much he practices, but believe me, it is a TON. He didn't fall upon greatness, he made it. You've got to make yours.

As for ideas... The Huntington Brass Quintet does clinics and performances for schools. They, like Mr. Sheridan, charge a fee, but you can arrange it so that a few schools are involved and share the cost. www.huntingtonbrass.org (I think)

Other ideas would be to get a local military band (or small ensemble from one) to give a clinic/performance. Also, check touring dates/locations for the D.C. area bands. If they come close, something possibly can be arranged at or near your location. Conventions (flute conventions, tuba conventions, music educator conventions etc) are great resources for clinics. Check on these... and maybe see if your band can perform at one in the future. Audition for all state and other groups, go to Interlochen. Get involved in a community band or a local band that has local band directors playing in it. These are all valuable resources. Talk to the good musicians you know that are still in high school or in college and find out what activities that they participated in.

The research you do will give you good information and help you develop the skills to come up with your own ideas and make things happen.

Good Luck.

now about the multiphonics....

Follow Ups: