Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "double" tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MA on February 10, 2003 at 17:24:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: "double" tubas posted by Klaus on February 10, 2003 at 11:42:42:

I can't see the pictures you post here. I can see the ones on Yahoo. That beastie looks like someone got really confused and forgot he had already put the valves on.
As for "serial" double tuba, I will hold my ground and say it is not the same as a "real" double tuba. I did not say that the valves were unuseable if one has the bending capability to get into tune; I said it is not a double tuba.

On my 182, I am using some odd fingerings to get the range between low C and pedal F. It turns out that the low C is not badly centered as so many say, but incredibly sharp; if one heads for C# to D pitch on the low C fingering, it plays just fine. So instead of trying to force the tuba to play where it does not want to, I am adding tubing via valves to give it a place where it actually does want to play those notes, and have thenceforth come up with them. Unconventional? -- too bad!! Better than getting just a ghost of a note.

It does remind me of cheap alto horns and many Eb tubas, where the low Eb notes are a 9th below the next octave up. The 182 is just in the opposite direction in its error.
MA

Follow Ups: