Re: Re: Re: Tuba overhaul web page completed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on February 10, 2003 at 22:09:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tuba overhaul web page completed posted by sidelines on February 09, 2003 at 04:13:39:

Joe,

I'm not sure I follow your penny counting as to the value of these restored instruments.

How is a new model only a thousand dollars more than $2,800? Are you saying these fully restored 60's era miraphones are equivelent to the student model 186? I don't think I agree. The current pro version might be closer, but that's priced quite a bit more than $3800, even after discounts ($4,795 at WWBW).

These instruments are fairly well sought after. Fully restored, Dan's found buyers in the mid $4,000 range for lacquer, and mid $5,000 range for silver plated. Seems like the owner is making a pretty good move.

As to repairing or replacing the bell, I think I would hesitate to put the newer version on this horn if it were mine...as you know, it's not the same bell. But that's just me.

Mostly, I'm interested in understanding your reluctance to spend more than $2800 on these horns. BTW, I have no idea what the repairs actually cost.

What would you recomend to the owner if the repairs were, say, $3000? Part out the horn, add it to the $3,000, and buy something else? How do you think that would that yield out, given the condition of the horn?

Hey, I agree you got jumped on a bit hard here for asking a legit question. But, you're a repair man questioning another repair man's approach...shoudn't you at least have signed your name to it?

Tony E

Follow Ups: