Re: Re: Re: Re: How can I determine what model I have?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on February 10, 2003 at 22:42:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: How can I determine what model I have? posted by TubaRay on February 10, 2003 at 22:05:35:

Sadly I actually made a fault in my own thinking, even if I wrote the right numbers:

The bore of the 10J is not that small at all. It is a bit larger than the .687 bore of the new Conn CC's and the new king BBb.

However the unusual, in tuba context at least, of .695 had me thinking of a bore comparable to that of a modern compensating euphonium, just below .600. Such a tuba bore can be seen on very old tubas from 125+ years ago.

The US -based engineers (I'm neither) can tell the story of pipe dimensions. As far as I know, brass instruments' makers tend to use stuff, that is already available on the market.

My misinterpretation of the .695 dimension is as more unforgivable, as I own a Conn with exactly that bore: my 1928 Conn 26 Eb sousaphone.

A very recent anecdote:

A well known contributor to TubeNet has the same hang as me to hunt interesting instruments in obscure places. He found a very widely belled, but surprisingly short 4RV Kaiser BBb. I contacted the seller for information on the bell engravings and other identification marks.

There was no such information to be had, as the bell was a replacement for a crushed original one.

That made the interest for that instrument fall abruptly. Hybrid instruments are OK from people, that know, what they do. But buying an instrument, that has no known origin and no history at all, it a too big chance to take.

For those now salivating about that instrument: The seller will not ship it at all. He will only hand it over to the buyer directly. Even for me that would involve a car ride of well over 1000 miles.

Will I provide pics? Yes, in due time!

Klaus

Follow Ups: