Re: purchase price + upkeep

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross on February 11, 2003 at 15:44:55:

In Reply to: purchase price + upkeep posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 11, 2003 at 12:07:23:

I'm not sure if what I am posting will be of value to you, but here goes.

My spread sheet for the costs of the eight tubas which I have purchased over the last 15 years, and still own, shows the following. The cost of repairs to maintain the playing condition of my tubas has run about 9% of the total purchase cost. One of my tubas required a complete overhaul after I purchased it, so as to make it half-way playable. If that one is thrown out of the mix, the repair percentage drops to about 3% for the remaining seven tubas. I did not have any improvements done to any of my tubas. Most of my tubas are probably worth a little more than I paid for them, so the repair percentage would drop a little if they were sold. As my horns do not get alot of exposure to damage, the 3% figure may be low compared to the exposure most tuba players have. My two regularly played tubas do not have cases and are transported bare. I suspect that a professional tuba player may have a higher repair bill over the long run, because of more exposure and more sophisticated equipment.

My experience and observations for what they are worth.

Follow Ups: