Re: intonation repair

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on February 12, 2003 at 08:36:38:

In Reply to: intonation repair posted by Dave on February 12, 2003 at 02:05:39:

As Joe and Christian and Richard have alluded to, the problem is not making or finding a "perfect tuba", because if a perfect tuba were played by an imperfect player, then the results would be lacking.
Also, I don't think there are that many people out there willing to pay premium prices for premium equipment, much less for expensive modifications.
Rudolf Meinl has done as much work on intensive "intonation engineering" of their line of brass instruments as anyone I know of, which is reflected in the price of their instruments. They are played by a number of professionals worldwide, but the number of people willing to pay the price to have an instrument like that is not really large.
I think that the continuing parade of wonder mouthpieces, heavy bottom caps, and other less-expensive attempts to improve instruments are here to stay.
And, overwhelmingly, I find that how much I practice makes more difference than what I play. To get the maximum good out of my Rudi, I have to practice a lot. Otherwise, I might as well be playing Brand X.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: