Re: Re: Re: does yamaha make a good f

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 13, 2003 at 12:22:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: does yamaha make a good f posted by Mary Ann on February 13, 2003 at 10:35:03:

Heh, heh. I'm not intending to be a salesman, though I wouldn't mind a commission on the sales that have resulted from people testing my horn (just as I'm sure Lee Hipp wouldn't mind the commission on the sale to me on the basis of trying his).

Rather, I'm calling it like I see it, from the perspective of what I do and have done with the instrument. My 621 is my instrument of choice for small ensembles, and those small ensembles have provided my only professional opportunities. That little Yamaha is the only tuba I own that has paid for itself several times over, and that's saying a lot for a bonehead amateur like me.

The issue you had with the 621 was based on other problems, primarily the wide spacing of piston valves. All I can say there is, be glad you aren't trying to get fingers on the valves on my Holton! They require a pretty good spread from me, and I can palm a basketball.

I have to confess a certain minor love affair stemming from a few minutes spent with a Miraphone 181 at the Army conference a year ago, so it is not as though I think the 621 is the only F tuba, heh, heh. This year, though, I tried out all the F tubas at the conference, and in terms of scale, range, and playability, I still think the 621 is tops. Sound, up to a point, is another matter, and my philandering with the Miraphone was based on that. But the 621's sound is solid and usable, and for me sounds all the better because it's the right note and it's reasonably in tune.

Rick "who thinks MA ought to try the Willson 3200 rotary version" Denney

Follow Ups: