Re: Cherry Classics Orchestra CD (US vs CAN)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on February 14, 2003 at 06:56:53:

In Reply to: Cherry Classics Orchestra CD (US vs CAN) posted by Matt A on February 13, 2003 at 21:55:14:

I talked to Gordon about this as I am a dealer for the collection. First off, it is a great collection and all orchestral players should have it.

Yes, there are different copyright laws for the US and Canada. Congress just changed protection in the US to (I believe) 70 years after the death of the composer. Canada is much lower and for that reason has much more material. For that reason he has made a US and Cnadian version. I sell the US version and am not permitted to ship it outside the country. Here's a loophole, if a non US resident buys it from me say at a show, and transports it out of the US, it is OK. The same would be true for the Canadian version, if you buy it in Canada and bring it across the border, no problem. It cannot be shipped across international borders.

Remember there are updates. For example Gershwin, when it is 70 years after his death, it will be public domain and will be added. As far as price, remember the exchange rate between the US and Canada is about 1 to 1.5 - the Canadian version is priced at Canadian dollars. Finally, at this time Gordon has no plans on making versions for other countries.

Follow Ups: