Re: Concept of Sound

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 19, 2003 at 18:51:23:

In Reply to: Concept of Sound posted by Rick on February 19, 2003 at 14:11:57:

Two CD's wouldn't be enough. But if that was all I could get, then it would be Pokorny's Orchestral Excerpts CD, and the early Roger Bobo recording that includes the Hindemith Sonata. I would be happy to suggest any number of players in lieu of Pokorny, all of which represent different variations on that general concept, but Pokorny is the one who gave us such a lovely, large sample of his playing without the potentially confusion addition of the rest of the ensemble.

Bobo defines the Power Sound in ways no other play did or does, at least on record.

For other aspects than pure sound, such as ensemble blend, then I'll defer to the list already provided by others. I would add the St. Louis recording of Bruckner, published on their own label, of a live concert that has the technical performance quality of studio recording along with the adrenalin of live performance. Mike Sanders exemplifies the big-horn sound superbly.

For my money, Chester Schmitz has one of the best orchestral sounds ever, and any recording where he can be heard is worth adding to your inner tone concept. A particularly good example is the "Out of this world" recording (on Philips?) of the Boston Pops playing John Williams's music. Schmitz plays the Jabba the Hut solo with an amazing sound.

When it comes to sheer beauty of musical interpretation, then my two recordings would be The Romantic Tuba by Floyd Cooley and any of Michael Lind's CD's. Although, there is one series of tracks on Pokorny's "Big Boy" that continues to lower my jaw, and that's his interpretation of the Bach unaccompanied flute sonata. When I hear that, I know that I will never be a musician.

These are all quite different in concept from each other and from what you have. Your own sound will end up being an amalgamation of these that resonate in your own head. You can't shine your own light into the darkness until you've reached the edge of the current light.

Rick "who usually contemplates selling his horns when he listens to these too often" Denney

Follow Ups: