Re: Re: What are your favorite band pieces?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 25, 2003 at 14:24:37:

In Reply to: Re: What are your favorite band pieces? posted by Chuck(G) (again) on February 25, 2003 at 12:32:26:

It's in our folder right now. The Curnow arrangement is fantastic--one of the best movie transcriptions available. In fact, I greatly prefer it to the actual movie score. It's John Williams before Star Wars, so it's a bit less heroic, but with plenty of energy. Lots of good stuff for the hornist, and the tuba parts are written in a true divisi--two often-separate parts on the same page. It's a bit of a reading nightmare, though, because of some unusual rhythms, and providing two separate tuba parts would have made it easier to navigate. Range on the tuba parts extends from around a low E to around a G at the top of the staff.

When I was there, the San Antonio Municipal Band played this work at the Texas Bandmaster's Association conference in about 1989 or 1990 (remember that, Ray?), and it was one of a handful of highlights from my time in that group.

Now that you've got me thinking, I can answer the question of the thread:

The Cowbows (John Williams, arr. Curnow)
Silverado (Bruce Broughton, arr. Bass)
Elsa's Procession...
La Fiesta Mexicana (Reed)
Rocky Point Holiday (Nelson)
Second Suite in F (Holst)
Folk Song Suite (Vaughan Williams)
Second Symphony (Maslanka)
Variations and Fugue (Giannini)
The Many Moods of Christmas (Shaw, arr. Hindsley?)
Festive Overture (Shostakovich)

There are others, of course, but these float to the surface, of those that I've played and heard and would love to see in the folder any time.

Rick "with almost too many to choose from" Denney

Follow Ups: