Re: Re: college tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on February 26, 2003 at 22:35:37:

In Reply to: Re: college tuba posted by Daniel on February 26, 2003 at 21:01:39:

This completely depends on your intentions with the instrument, I feel. I have had several students buy horns and I always recommend them getting a CC tuba. Mainly because I feel the workmanship in general is better and,in my experience, a more professional sound is more easily produced. I completely understand that others may disagree, but this is my experience for myself and my students. There are only 2 professional symphonic players I know of that play a BBb for their large horn...Marty Erickson and James Jenkins. I'm sure there are a few more and if someone knows who those people may be, I would be interested in knowing. Both of them would sound great no matter what they play. They also started playing professionally at an early age. All of the other pros, the 50 or so, I know use a CC in this country.

Now, if you are looking to be a amatuer player looking for a good instrument that will help you continue what you have started, then a BBb would probably do just fine. I would recommend a PT-1 (haven't played one in awhile, please ask around) and a older Miraphone 186. I hear great things about the new Kings and the Schmidt line of horns.

The main decision should be based on what you feel is the best fit for you. Try as many horns as you can. A trip to Dillon's or Baltimore Brass would be a worthwhile journey.

I do want to say that your decision to continue playing into your adult years is a great one. Music is for life and I hope you will find it a routinely rewarding experience. I wish you great luck in your search for a horn.

Mark

Follow Ups: