Re: Spec for B&H Imperial tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MP on February 27, 2003 at 11:35:38:

In Reply to: Spec for B&H Imperial tuba posted by Jenny on February 27, 2003 at 10:48:57:

Hi Jenny,

I live in the UK and also play tuba. Your £600 for the bell would be a wise investment if you were ever to sell the instrument on- something I'm sure a cunning businesslike person such as yourself would appreciate. Common sense dictates that spending £650 all-in on top of your £1k for an overhauled- replated (larger receiver/leadpipe) instrument will leave it worth probably £2k(or poss more) imo.

Snag would be that the bell ought to match the body of the instrument in its guage of brass. I'd suggest the bell would have to be an older one (you know what I mean) for an accoustic match. Also, I'm sure you also appreciate that what the bell is 'etched' with will affect its potential value; 'Globe' Sov's or Imperial's would probably be best to those in the know...

If you have absolutely no intention of selling it and simply using it for the odd job, I'd probably either put a large receiver on OR turn-down a suitable mouthpiece shank so it fits (or buy a small shank Wick for cheap...), leaving the bell/leadpipe alone.

Hope this helps,
MP

Follow Ups: