Mister Rogers - r.i.p.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles D. Ortega on February 28, 2003 at 03:08:20:

A little story...

When I was working for the Mouse in Orlando, I had occasion to be apart of the Candlelight Processional. This is the Christmas Show that Epcot puts on every year, they do it in Anaheim as well. They run the show three times a night during the holiday season. All kinds of Disney Entertainment Cast Members participate in the show, but Disney invites High School area choirs to participate as well. I was one of the people who herds the kids in to a big tent so they can rehearse with the conductors before the big show.

While I am not old, (gonna be 30 this year) I am also not young. I looked at these high school age kids I was ushering in, and I thought to myself, boy, these kids don't care about anything. They are cutting up, talking when they aren't supposed to, dressing funny. I caught a few of them smoking in the back. I just couldn't believe how the youth of today was so much older at their age then I was at their age. They were so jaded in their attitude. I was feeling pretty disgruntled.

Before the first show one night, we heard Mister Rogers was going to attend a show that night. He was a special guest, and one of my managers thought it would be a good idea for the kids to see him. When I heard he was coming, I got all excited. Mister Rogers! I had grown up watching this gentle man. When his car pulled up, and he came in to the tent, I just couldn't get the smile off my face. These jaded self-important kids saw Mister Rogers come in and they jumped up & down and were cheering. Just like little kids, and all the "old" melted from their faces. He waved nicely, and made his way to the microphone. I will never forget what he said.

"Be good to each other. Watch out for each other. The people standing next to you are going to be your neighbors someday. Their kids will play with your kids. You are the future of this country. Take care of yourselves."

And I thought these kids would laugh or snicker while he spoke. But not one kid moved. They stood transfixed by this gentleman who spoke softly and moved softly like a cat. He spoke his words, and said thank you. The kids roared their approval and applause. He waved again and stepped down from the dais. The kids slowly stopped clapping, and I jumped up and goaded them on to applaud some more. If you could see me, this huge guy in a choir robe, jumping up and down waving my arms, and they cheered again for this guy who taught alot of my generation.

Mister Rogers saw what I was doing and walked up to me and shook my hand, thanking me for being so kind. I took his hand and told him how much I appreciated his effect on my life.

He smiled and waved to everyone and left. The rest of that night, the kids were great. For just a little while, everyone was nice to each other. That was the kind of effect he had on us all.

I will never forget I the chance to meet him.

Rest in Peace, Mister Rogers

Follow Ups: