Re: Just bought a mixer..could use some tips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 28, 2003 at 11:19:42:

In Reply to: Just bought a mixer..could use some tips posted by Jeff B. on February 28, 2003 at 10:17:41:

Phantom power is a means of supplying power to electret condenser microphones that need power. (It has nothing to do with "cardioid", which is the pattern of sensitivity of the mike.) Some condenser mikes have batteries in them, but they have to be changed frequently, so lots of professional setups use what is called phantom power. Phantom power supplies power to the microphone via the mike cable, and the audio is (I seem to recall) modulated on top of the DC, or something like that. Bottom line: If you have phantom power in the microphone connectors, you need microphones that will work with phantom power. Visit a Guitar Center or similar store with your stuff and let them show you how it works.

An miniature phone plug (that 1/8" plug you mentioned) usually means that the microphone input is unbalanced (it uses two wires for each channel). Your Sony microphone has XLR connectors? That surprises me. XLR connectors are usually used for balanced inputs that use three wires for each channel. But some microphone makers (including Audio Technika) use an XLR connector to move two unbalanced stereo channels, with a common ground and two signal lines, which plugs into a splitter or adaptor before going into the recording device or mixer. They do this so you can use standard microphone cables to make connections, but they are not compatible. You'll need someone to look at your stuff and tell you what you have.

But now let's get to the real problem.

Your description sounds like you are either 1.) using the automatic gain control on your MD recorder, 2.) not adjusting the level properly when using manual gain control, or 3.) you are overloading the maximum sound pressure level rating on the microphone. The first problem should still give you good sound, but it is not designed for music and it will absolutely eat up all your dynamics. If your MD recorder doesn't have manual record level control, replace it; it will never please you. If it has manual record level control, then I guarantee you that it has a way to adjust the record level, though you'll probably have to dig around in the menus and the instruction book to find it. Don't give up--it's there. Adjust it so that your loudest playing just tips the indicator at 0 dB.

If you are overloading your microphone, then the only choice you have is to move it back from the instruments or replace it. Better microphones have higher input capabilities. The Sony mike that I looked at (the more expensive of the two that were available a couple of years ago--it may be the same as yours) had a maximum SPL rating of 115 dB. A tuba will overload that badly if the mike is closer than about 6 or 8 feet, or if you are aimed right at it and playing loudly. The Audio Technika AT-822 that I bought has a rating of 125 dB, which means that it requires a sound that is over three times as powerful to overload the mike, compared to the Sony. I can still overload it if I place it too close and too inline to the bell. That may be your problem, but your comment that your MD recorder doesn't have record level control suggests to me that your problem is there.

I suspect that you don't need a mixer to solve your problems, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful, especially if you want to make recordings with more than a stereo mike.

Rick "who doesn't mind replacing the batteries in condensor mikes" Denney

Follow Ups: